Sunday, April 27, 2008

Yow Mo Gaw Choh A

I (Allison) just had to post about what I just saw. Abe and I were watching TV when an AT&T commercial came on about a guy in a Chinese restaurant who is about to offend his prized Chinese customer. At the end when the full-screen graphic is up you hear the Chinese customer in the background saying, "Yow mo gaw choh a," which means in Cantonese, "Are you freaking kidding me?" It's one of the phrases Abe and I say to each other all the time. In fact, I said it this morning when I noticed we were watching ESPN's coverage of round 6 million (ok, so I'm exaggerating) of the NFL draft -- Who cares at that point?

Anyway, for the first time I actually understood something on TV that was in Cantonese. Usually, Abe's my translator, but this time we both got the joke!

No comments: