Monday, April 7, 2008

Denver in a Day


Allison here...I went to Denver for work last week and got to have dinner with my friend Amanda, and her new husband, Mark. Amanda and I met in 2000 on Campus Crusade for Christ's summer project in Hungary. We quickly learned that we traveled well together. I remember one day in Prague asking Amanda what she wanted to do that day. She named off about 7 or so sites she wanted to see which were, amazingly enough, exactly the sites I wanted to visit. And even though we were only in Hungary together for two months, we've managed to keep our friendship going even though we went to different universities. Amanda is one of those friends for me who I can call up anytime and we can pick up where we left off. Needless to say, we had a ton of fun at dinner. Mark and Amanda took me to a Jamaican restaurant. We all tried the jerk seasoning for the first time, which was really good. Unfortunately, Abe wasn't able to join me on this trip. And, since I was only in town for about 28 hours, I wasn't able to visit any of our other friends and family in the Denver area.

So some of you have asked me if I knew I was going to travel a lot for my job. While I have been to New York, San Antonio, Los Angeles and Denver in less than six months, that was pretty unexpected. Part of that is because I was given responsibility for a large project at work. And, I don't expect to travel anywhere else for work until November.

What's funny, too, are the difference in responses. My Chicago friends are used to road warriors who leave Sunday for work and come back Friday night only to do it all over again. So, they don't really say much about my travels. However, to my downstater friends and family, this seems like a lot of travel. I guess having to make a connecting flight negates the effectiveness of business travel some of the time.

No comments: