Thursday, September 13, 2007

Whoops...

So Mrs. Domestic made a cooking faux pas last night. I was making brown rice in our rice cooker in the middle of a conversation with Abe. Well, apparently I was more involved in the conversation than cooking since I put in half the amount of water needed to make rice. So it was the driest rice ever. Poor Abe--he still ate it. I threw mine out.

I can normally follow recipes pretty accurately, but every so often I screw up. I remember the time I made M&M cookies with twice the amount of butter. I realized that when I wondered why the cookies were so greasy. Thankfully, all of these screw ups just result in bad (or incredibly buttery) food, which in the big picture, could be worse.

So I'd like to hear from you--what cooking mistakes have you made?

Allison

2 comments:

Jano Fabulous said...

My biggest disaster was a cranberry apple bread I was trying to make with wheat flour... what a disaster, it was just way too "grainy and natural"... that's what I get for trying to be healthy, huh? A former co-worker of mine made a big batch of chex mix one time, and then realized the chex cereal he had used was the sweetened kind. Sometimes you can do the "sweet-n-salty" thing... this was not one of them.

I still struggle with the whole concept of the dry pasta to cooked pasta conversion. My college roommate still laughs at me because I cooked an entire jumbo bag of egg noodles for goulash one time... needless to say we had "Oodles of Noodles".

The image of Abe eating the dry rice is priceless... it really is true love!

Abe and Allison said...

Good to know not to try wheat flour.

I don't know if Abe eating the dry rice is true love or the sign of a man who will eat anything!