Friday, September 21, 2007

Learning Chinese...

Abe and I use some Chinese words and phrases to communicate now. I don't know why we do--somehow, it's more cool to say "cheapskate" or "full stomach" or "good food" in Chinese instead of English. However, most of the words he's taught me aren't very appropriate. Let's just say I know how to say anything you would need to say regarding the bathroom and I can tell him off in Chinese as well. He taught me one phrase in the pool on our Honeymoon, which prompted another guest to say, "Who's going to cut whose head off?" I explained that we just got married and my husband was teaching me Chinese. He must have thought we were a part of the Chinese mafia!

I've also discovered that my favorite Chinese food item is a pot sticker. I went into the city yesterday to have lunch with Abe and we went to this awesome place that sold pot stickers. Yummy!!!

Allison

4 comments:

Jano Fabulous said...

Mmmm... pot stickers! Can you tell my lunch was less than satisfying... a pot sticker would hit the spot right now :)

I love the Chinese lessons... my former co-worker, Bonnie, who is from Hong Kong used to teach me Chinese as well. Like you not they were not necessarily the most appropriate or practical words. I know I learned "boss" and "beer"... not sure if I remember correctly or not, but Abe is "boss" = "lai ban" or something like that?... hopefully I didn't just say something really in appropriate in Chinese.

Abe and Allison said...

Yeah, the whole problem with speaking Chinese is that it's all about inflection. The word for lucky money sounds very similar for the word for diarrea! And, the word for Chinese people is very similar to the word for people without heads! That's why I didn't attempt to say any Chinese at the wedding.

Allison

Bart said...

I had a meeting this morning with some folks from Shanghai (7AM Detroit time, 7 PM Shanghai time), and at the end of the meeting, I told them, "sheh-shee", which I think means "thank you."

Hopefully I didn't tell them something bad!

Abe and Allison said...

You were fine...that's Mandarin, which I believe is spoken in Shanghai. I'll just be sure not to teach you any of the words I know in case you get confused!

allison