Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Nayok Gai Lan



Tonight, I (Allison) was quite daring -- I tried making Abe's favorite dish for the first time. He loves beef and broccoli (nayok gai lan in Cantonese). I've tried cooking Chinese before, but nothing quite like this. I would give my first attempt a B. First off, the recipe came from the label of the soy sauce we have, so I'm not sure how authentic it was. Second, I overcooked the beef. And, the rice cooker overcooked the rice again, so I'm going to have to see how I can fix that.

Regardless, Abe enjoyed the nayok gai lan (he called it "ho sik uh" which means "very good" in Cantonese). And, he ate it like he always eats food. I know he will eat anything, but I want him to crave my version of his favorite food. Hopefully, I'll get better each time I cook it.

No comments: