Saturday, March 22, 2008

My favorite childhood moment

Hi all! This is Abe blogging. I figured that it's been awhile since I've blogged, so I will do so today. So I was working out at the gym the other night and got thinking about what my favorite childhood moment would be. It quickly became obvious what that moment was. Here's the story.

As many of you know, I am a big baseball fan. Did you know, however, that I was quite the little league baseball player in my day? I remember this like it was just yesterday. I was a little league baseball player at Welles Park in Chicago--it was a hot summer day, and I stepped into the batter's box against one of the toughest pitchers in the league--his name was Mike. We were in a tight pennant race with his team, and the count was full at 3 balls and 2 strikes. The next pitch that I got just spun up to the plate--a hanging curve ball. Heh heh. A hanging curve ball is essentially a curve ball that is supposed to dip sharply when it gets to the plate but it doesn't. It's a mistake pitch, so when it gets to you, it just "hangs" up there at a lower speed--a perfect pitch to kill. In any case, I got a hanging curve ball and my eyes lit up. I proceeded to produce arguably the best swing that I have ever had. *Ping*! I hit the ball so hard with my aluminum bat that it went way over the rightfielder's head (I'm a lefty). I was so shocked that I hit the ball so hard that I literally stopped at every base. Well, I finally crossed home plate--I had just hit a HOME RUN! My teammates and my coaches were waiting for me by the time I got to home plate. My teammates were all screaming and cheering for me. My coach nearly had a heart attack and told me, "The next time you hit a home run DO NOT STOP AT EVERY BASE!" He then gave me a big hug. The funny thing is that the next batter Timmy also hit a home run--that knocked Mike out of the game. We ended up winning that game 8-3.

It was the best moment of my childhood. It was also the first, last, and only home run that I have ever hit in little league and high school. We ended up winning the championship that year. But there's more to this story...

The team that I played that day? The Cardinals. My wife's favorite baseball team? the Cardinals. God truly has a weird sense of humor since I am a die-hard Cubs fan these days.

What's your favorite childhood moment?

1 comment:

Abe and Allison said...

One of my favorite childhood moments is going to a practice day at the Indy 500. My parents used to pick us up from school on "family business" and take us to the track. Zzzzzzzzzooooooommmmmmmmm!