Monday, August 4, 2008

Thoughts on One Year

Allison here...Today marks our first wedding anniversary. It seems really odd that we've been married a year already. We're still adjusting to each other and our life in Chicago. Heck, we're still trying to use up the saran wrap we each had in our separate households.

But I'd be lying if I said that life has been all wine and roses, although I did receive some beautiful roses today. But that's not real marriage. Real marriage is when you are being a brat and the other person is being a brat and yet you work through things. You love each other. You are committed. And you receive being loved and cared for by someone who's there no matter what. Someone who forgives you. Who loves you for all your good and bad. No hiding who we really are, huh?

Anyway, I know that some of those who are reading this blog are single and I want to show them that while marriage is awesome, it's hard. Marriage is a living organism, and thankfully, my husband and I know that we have to protect our marriage and come together in agreement in everything.

We've had such great times to celebrate. We've traveled so much in the past year. We're getting ready to welcome in our new sister-in-law into the family. And, praise God that our family has been healthy.

It's fun to see how God has worked in our lives (and in your lives, too) in the past year. God has crazy plans for all of our lives. I would have never thought this is what my life would be like, but it's better than I ever could have imagined.

2 comments:

thenn said...

Allison you are so right about "real marriage", I love the way you describe it! It is easy to feel the love when the roses are delivered, but it is the person who still loves you when life gets gritty that counts. I hope you two enjoyed your day, and that you continue to fall in love over and over again!

Emily said...

Allison nice job...you'll be glad to have these thoughts documented in 50 years....