Friday, August 8, 2008

My Driving Philosophy/Why I Love the Olympic Opening Ceremony

So here are some of my (Allison's) random thoughts, if you're interested:

Driving here in Chicago is so interesting. People here do really crazy, agressive and downright stupid moves. If you allow more than 2 feet between you and the car in front of you (no matter the speed), someone will try to fit into that space. While people are by and large driving slower on the freeways to save gas, there are still the people who zoom-zoom between cars like it's a video game. While I could try to either drive that fast or be agressive so that I block other people, etc., I've realized that it's not worth stressing over, so if people want to pass me, they can do so. Because with the price of gas being $4 a gallon or more, driving faster or being more agressive is actually costing me more money. Even if it took 1/4 gallon of gas to be more agressive, that's a $1 out of my pocket. No offense, but the other drivers of Chicago aren't worth my money.

On another topic, I've been watching the Olympic opening ceremony tonight. I love the opening ceremonies. (Some of you attended my opening ceremony party for the 2006 Olympics.) Here's what I love:
--the crazy artsy stuff that's usually pretty freaky no matter the host country
--watching the parade of nations. This year I decided to cheer for countries in which I have been in or in which I know someone from. (I said a special cheer for Hong Kong!) :)

Anyway, I just love seeing all of humanity coming together in all its diversity. It's fun to root for countries just because I've met someone from there in my time of being in Chicago, like Ecuador, or a country I've been to since the last Olympics, like the Dominican Republic. Diversity is God's design, so it's awesome to see so much diversity in one place. Yea Olympics!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

have a great time in Hawaii!! happy anniversary..

Mandy said...

have a great time in Hawaii!! happy anniversary..