Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Abe's Thoughts on the first year of marriage

Hi all,

This is Abe here. I figured that I would post my thoughts on our first year of marriage since Allison just did. In short, WOW--what a ride. Marriage is unlike anything that I have ever experienced. You really learn how selfish you can be. Actually, marriage and your faith go hand in head. Scripture calls us to die to self and to look out for others' interest first--building a marriage is no different. You have to look for your wife's interests first, and put them above your own. I'll be the first one to admit that I have failed in this area at times. It is truly humbling to realize that someone loves you just for who you are, even though you have disappointed that person from time to time--but God sets the perfect example for us on how to love others (see John 3:16).

I look back at how much we've accomplished in our first year marriage, and all I can say is--WOW--totally a God thing. From a personal standpoint, we've made it through our first year of marriage and have adjusted rather nicely to each other and to marriage. I'll be the first one to admit that it hasn't always been smooth sailing, but we've been able to work through our challenges. From a professional standpoint, Allison found a nice Public Relations job and has been able to travel with her job (albeit begrudgingly at times). I have been promoted twice in the past year and have been able to do pretty well in my MBA classes--I'm about at the halfway point of my program. I am truly humbled by how much God has blessed us. It has all been a God thing, and I would give all the glory to God-without Him there is no way we could have accomplished so much in a year.

In any case, we will be on our way to Hawaii in about a week or so, so stay tuned for updates! I doubt that we will blog from there, but stay tuned for lots of pictures and stories from the trip.

Have a good one everyone!

No comments: