Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Newlywed Leave

Alas I (Allison) have a job and will shortly say goodbye to my three months of jobless life that I refer to as my newlywed leave. Similar to a maternity leave, newlywed leave is the period between the wedding, move, being setted in and landing a permanent job, which I have all encountered in the past three months.

I can't believe it's been three months since I've had a job. In fact, I'm really glad I didn't have a job to return to after the honeymoon. I've spent the past three months fixing up our apartment, cooking meals for Abe, and having the freedom to stay up as long as I want with my night owl of a husband.

Above all, it's been a time to pause. No more daily grind. No more wedding planning. No more commuter dating.

I've learned a lot about Abe and about myself. I've discovered I really do like my career field. And my local grocery store. I've learned the best time of day to avoid the pushy personal trainers at the gym. And, I've learned patience. I've learned to wait on God and to trust him. You can only job search for so long each day until you have to just give it up to Him and trust He'll provide the right job at the right time.

And I think he has. Taking this job helps give short-term answers to some of the life questions we're facing. It's a new life for me--a new organization, new role, and a long commute to the suburbs, which, thankfully, Abe can join me in for half the week.

So, here I am on a new adventure. I don't know how we'll keep our house clean or where I'll find the time to work out or how I'll not go crazy with all the driving. But I'm trusting God. One day at a time--knowing He'll meet me as I close one chapter and open another.

No comments: