Tuesday, December 4, 2007

What Really Matters

So I (Allison) have been thinking of blogging for a while, but I haven't had the time to sit down and do it. Now I'm here and I'm confident of what I'm going to write.

I first thought about telling you of my discovery of Guitar Hero, one of the most awesome games ever. Then I discovered peppermint hot chocolate at Starbucks and thought that was worthy of a blog post. Or I could blog about my most recent annoyances like the Great Soy Sauce Flood of 2007, which happened in my refrigerator last weekend. But a letter in today's mail showed me what's really worth writing about.

You see Abe and I decided to sponsor a child from World Vision after our honeymoon in the impoverished Dominican Republic. We sponsor Jaifri, a 10-year-old Dominican boy who lives in a community ravaged by AIDS. So far, we've received a picture of him (he's so adorable!), and sent him a card and a Christmas/Birthday package. Yet tonight was the first time we heard from him.

We received a letter in the mail from Jaifri's mom. She asked about our family and talked about her son, sharing that he enjoys eating mango and playing ball. But it was this that got me, "We thank for the support you will give to the boy, family and community. Thank you."

It struck me what it's like for Jaifri's mom, Orquidea. She lives in an area worthy of help from a ministry to the poor and needy. She has seen the devastation of AIDS in her own community. Yet what can she do for her son? I can't imagine being a mother, wanting so much for my child and be unable to do much about it. I find hope in knowing that our measly $35/month is caring for this child and providing for him in ways his parents could only dream of.

So, in this Christmas season, I challenge you. I hope that you join the ranks of us who are using part of our Christmas list to make charitable donations in the names of our loved ones. Because, truly, what do we need? Maybe the gift of Christmas is realizing you already have your gift -- finding joy in what you already have. And maybe it's giving hope to a family in need so far away.

No comments: