Monday, December 28, 2009

The 2000s

I know, I know...the third post in less than a week. :) What can I say? Christmas and the end of a year are always very reflective times for me. And what more so at the end of the decade.

I started January 1, 2000, as a college student. I lived with three other girls who I'm blessed to still be friends with today. Little did I know then the adventure God would have for me. Later that year I went to Europe for the first time -- on Summer Project with Campus Crusade. Hands down one of the best experiences of my life. I've since been on two other trips to Europe as well as a vacation to the Caribbean and Hawaii. I would have never dreamed all of that 10 years ago.

I also would not have predicted my current career. Or the fact my husband is Chinese and I disliked Chinese food until I met him. Or that I live in a large metro area. An area that gets snow. I used to hate snow, but the dumping we got this past weekend didn't seem to mind me much.

I've learned not to tell God that I won't do something. God has made me eat my words so much in the past 10 years, but they have been good times. God has changed and opened my heart. After that summer project I had a heart for Eastern Europeans. Now I feel a kinship with Asians when I meet them. Like I'm part Asian because my husband is Asian.

I've lost some loved ones this decade. But gained a husband, parents in-law, two sister-in-laws, a brother-in law, and a niece. I know those loved ones who passed on would have loved these new loved ones, too.

I don't know what the next 10 years holds. Lord-willing children for us and more nieces and nephews. Lord-willing health for our families. And Lord-willing more adventure with God. I could not have imagined this life 10 years ago. But it is so good. God is so good.

2 comments:

Jano Fabulous said...

I have so been enjoying your posts this week. "Reflective Allison" totally rocks!!! I hope you are feeling beeter, and best wishes for a Happy New Year and some amazing 2010's

Mandy said...

i can't believe it's been 10 years since we lived together...such fun times!