Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Analysis of the Rich Harden trade

In a deal today with the Oakland A's, the Cubs received pitchers Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin for pitcher Sean Gallagher, outfielders Matt Murton, Eric Patterson and minor leaguer Josh Donaldson.

I'm here to provide expert analysis of this trade. On paper, this looks like a good trade for the Cubs, as they get two good pitchers in exchange for two outfielders who were good but not great players. The Cubs get two good pitchers in Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin. Harden is 5-1 this year with a 2.34 ERA and a WHIP (Walks and Hits per 9 innings) of 1.14. Gaudin is 5-3 this year with a 3.59 ERA and a WHIP of 1.28. Both have respective WHIP numbers. They also get Rich Harden this year and the next year, whereas CC and the music factory (i.e., CC Sabathia) is essentially a rent-a-pitcher who becomes a free agent after this season. The only negative that I can see with this trade is that Rich Harden has landed on the disabled list 6 times in the past 6 years, so he seems pretty injury prone. Still, all in all, a pretty good deal for the Cubs.

I thought that the Cubs were the favorites in the division even after the Brewers trade for Sabathia, and now....well...I won't even go there, seeing that it's been 100 hundred years since....well, everyone knows (I don't want to jinx the Cubs).

I give the Cubs an A on this trade. Great trade for Cubs! Now let's see if the Cardinals can go out and get someone in a trade....

1 comment:

Abe and Allison said...

Can I (Allie) just say that I have mixed emotions about the trade...Matt Murton (one of the OFs traded) has a slight connection to my extended family. Best wishes in Oakland!