Sunday, January 27, 2008

Chinese New Year Spectacular

Allison here...As you can see by the post below, life with Abe is always an adventure. Saturday we took his parents to the Chinese New Year Spectacular, a show filled with dancing and singing performed by a national touring group. It was a good time, although the show was very political -- as in anti-Communism.

Anyway, we had some funny moments. Like when his parents wondered how much shorter they would be if someone cut their heads off. (Using his dad's pocket calendar, we figured out his mom would be about 5 inches shorter.) Don't ask me why they decided to figure this out during intermission.

But one of the funniest moments for me came when I saw what Abe put on his evaluation. It asked why you bought tickets and had several possible check-in-the-box answers like:
--I like this theatre.
--I saw this group before.

No, my husband didn't choose any of those. He selected the "Other" box and wrote in the following: I'm Chinese.

I love it. My husband makes me laugh an average of 100 times a day. In fact, he just put something in the sink that fell and he said, "Doh!" like Homer. I love it.

Anyway, last night we headed to Abe's family's favorite Chinatown restaurant -- His dad has connections. I love how people look at me since I, obviously, stand out. I love our cultural differences, and I love the fact that Chicago's diversity allows me to experience Chinese culture through adventures with Abe and his family.

No comments: